Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lent

...is a season in the Christian calendar. Most of you lapsed Catholics out there would know what it is, but most people I come across seem not to know much about it. When I tell people that I have given up alcohol for Lent, most people say, "Why - are you pregnant?"

Like, er, no...?

By the way, did you know the 40 hour famine is done in March because it's in Lent and it echoes the "giving something up for Lent" thing? Albeit 40 hours rather than 40 days. Actually, 40 days not counting Sundays, so it's really more like 47 days.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Giving up alcohol for Lent is hard work. Especially when you go to social events at a pub (Wednesday quiz/Friday 3.15pm wind-down...) and everyone else is drinking. And it's not like I'm an alcoholic or anything, but sometimes I would just LOVE a nice cold beer with my fries and conversation. Even if I was driving I would still treat myself with ONE beer.

I have rekindled my affair with spicy tomato juice - my non-alcoholic drink of choice. There is a real art to it - not too much ice, for starters. Then lots of tobasco and Worcester sauce so it's got a lovely bite to it. The more spicy it is the less inclined I am to guzzle it down and need another one. I am also drinking a lot more Coke than I used to, due to it being cheaper than tomato juice.

* * *

It's my birthday soon. That is all.

* * *

I played in a netball tournament at the weekend. I was supposed to play three games but I pinged my finger (TWICE!) in the second game and had to sit the third one out. It held up ok at indoor last night but I had to tape it just in case.

Can I just mention to all the people who were at the game last night: I did NOT crash into that dopey blond girl on purpose! I was going for THE BALL - as one does in this game. The ref gave the ball to me afterwards so obviously it was not my contact. So there. :P

That girl sure was dopey though. She contacted me every time she went to run into the circle and seemed to have no idea what 'standing down' looked like. I'm looking forward to playing them again later on when they learn the rules a bit better. I think we will still beat them though - as long as we get to the court on time and don't lose 5 points!

5 comments:

Not Kate said...

There sure was some nice argie bargie going on down your end though :) It was fun to watch from the safety of the defensive end.

The big bald guy was less annoying than last time. Probably because they were losing.

Anonymous said...

number one birthdays are way cool. are you an aries? cos hello, twin central if you are. also, my non alcoholic drink of choice is lime and soda. one dollar from southern cross bar, which says one thing: BARGAIN CENTRAL. plus it tastes like a cocktail. albeit a really really mild one.

fish said...

I will have to try the lime and soda. Sounds good.

I'm a Taurus. No bull!

Nearly twindom but not quite :(

bitemeandsmile said...

I did actually wonder if you were pregnant after you told your student teacher you werent drinking when she gave you a gift. However, Lent does explain it all! How good will that first drink be though...mmmmmm.

fish said...

Haha nah I'm just fat :P

I can guarantee that you will be one of the first to know, don't you worry :)